qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for Tuesday 3

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for Tuesday 3
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 19:14:39 -0600

On 01/02/2012 09:54 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 2 January 2012 13:46, Andreas Färber<address@hidden>  wrote:
* when can we expect to be able to model SoCs rather than CPUs? Will
this affect command line usage - are we going to have '-device
ti-tms570' rather than '-cpu cortex-r4' then, or -cpu overriding the
container's default?

My initial inclination is to say that specifying the CPU on the
command line is almost always the wrong thing for ARM platforms
(now or in a future QOM world). For instance, if you start the
vexpress-a9 board with something other than -cpu cortex-a9 it won't
complain but it won't do the right thing either (you'll get the
private peripherals for the A9 with whatever CPU core you asked for).

I don't think you want to have the user specifying -device my-soc
on the command line either -- the user should be selecting a board
(machine) model, which will generally nail down which soc and cpu
are used.

Let's separate out what a user *should* do from what a user *can* do.

A user *should* have a command line syntax that reflects something that makes sense to them. For instance, qemu-system-arm --machine beaglebone

I don't really care what the SoC or CPU in my beaglebone is. I just want to emulate one.

But I do believe we want to make it possible for -device to create a CPU even when it doesn't make sense.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori