qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-stable] Last call for 1.0.1 stable release

From: Justin M. Forbes
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-stable] Last call for 1.0.1 stable release
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:30:33 -0600

On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 14:33 +0100, Andreas Färber wrote:
> Justin,
>
> Am 09.01.2012 19:00, schrieb Justin M. Forbes:
> > Due to the repository move, holidays and other bits, we are a bit late
> > getting out the door, but I want to get qemu 1.0.1 stable release done this
> > week.  We have a number of patches, but if you are sitting on anything or
> > close to finishing up something, please get all patches to
> > address@hidden by Wednesday Jan 11th to give time for testing
> > before the release is cut.
>
> Could you be a bit more verbose, please? Currently, judging by
> http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu-stable-1.0.git;a=summary (which seems to be
> lacking a v1.0 tag), it seems like only a Malta fix is queued so far?
>
> I'm new to the stable business but my expectation is that patches are
> cherry-picked to the stable branch, if qualified, once applied to
> master. I haven't seen any "Thanks, applied to stable-1.0 branch" reply
> lately, but you're pinning 1.0.1 to a date already, leading to 1.0.1
> getting either no testing (if you apply pending patches today/tomorrow)
> or hardly any fixes (one applied 47 hours ago)...

The tree is currently updated with everything from my queue, and I have
already started some testing with what we have.  The expectation of
patches by Wednesday means that no patches received after that day will
be applied for 1.0.1 unless they are to fix a problem in what I have
received. Anything else will be applied toward 1.0.2.  Essentially we
have to make a release, and there is a good bit of testing required for
a release, so the tree has to freeze at some point for that to happen.

Justin