qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for tuesday 31

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for tuesday 31
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:10:46 +0200

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 05:04:48PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 08:12:29AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> > >http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/137732/ (PATCH v4)
> > >
> > >It's basically about how to deal with variable-sized arrays. (Alex
> > >mentioned it on one call around November.) I found ways to deal with
> > >subsets of arrays embedded within the struct and variable-sized list of
> > >pointers to structs but no solution for a malloc()'ed array of structs.
> > >Maybe I'm just too stupid to see. Anyway, no one commented since Xmas.
> >
> > /me puts on his flame proof suit
> >
> > Don't use VMState.  Just open code a save/restore function.  VMState
> > is too limited in how it handles complex data structures.
> >
> > I really believe the only long term solution we're going to get to
> > here is something that uses a builder interface (like Visitors).
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Anthony Liguori
>
> So the TPM patches started implementing a visitor interface
> for BER, they are still blocked, right?

And by the way, I believe we really should switch to
something like BER and just drop the legacy migration
format - being non self delimiting makes it just too
painful for words to abstract, and attempts to
hide that mess behind a visitor interface will just cause
more cruft to accumulate, and cause inefficiencies
such as extra data copies.