qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Sparc Softmmu

From: P. Wilhelm
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Sparc Softmmu
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:45:10 -0500

I've been able to install Solaris 8 using CDs on the Sparc Softmmu client system. Kudos to those responsible for Sparc development!

I've been able to run a number of applications without problems on the client machine. I noticed something odd, however, and have been trying to isolate the cause. Hopefully, someone here will have an idea or two for me to try.

The issue:
The syslogd seems to accept and post to the appropriate log file only a small number of messages before no longer updating the log file when further messages are posted, the syslogd seems to hang. The symptom does not appear to be different when rebooting or restarting the syslog daemon. The daemon will post a couple of message to the log file and then stop accepting any more.

Why ask here?
I've done a couple of things to see if I can isolate the source of the oddity and they seem to point to qemu.

What I've done so far:
1) I've tried using "logger" and a C program I wrote to use the syslog() function. - Both have the same issue noted above. 2) I've used both the OpenBios and SS5.bin bios. - Symptom does not change between the two. 3) I checked my /etc/syslog.conf on real hardware running the same version of Solaris 8. Syslogging works as you'd expect there. (Note - I don't have real SparcStation 5 hardware. I've been using an old Sun4u machine, Ultra-1 -- hopefully, that does not invalidate my "real hardware" checks.). 4) I ran syslogd in debug mode on both the client and the real hardware, but did not see anything in the output from each that gave a clue as to the issue. Generally, the output confirmed that I had syslogd configured the same way on both.

How to proceed?
I am a reasonably adept software developer, however, I do not have experience at the guts-level of Solaris OS or Sparc hardware. My work on Solaris/Sparc has been at the application level, but I have worked at the hardware level on other (proprietary) systems. If I had access to syslogd source code, I'd be comfortable working from there, but I am fairly certain that is not available - let me know if I am wrong. I've thought about looking for an open source syslog daemon and trying to use it instead of the Solaris version.

Any thoughts about next steps are appreciated.

Respectfully,
Paul