qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu for simulating SoCs?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu for simulating SoCs?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 22:26:37 +0000

On 23 February 2012 14:36, Magnus Therning <address@hidden> wrote:
> Qemu seems to mostly ship with emulation of individual CPUs (e.g. ARM
> processors) and with emulation of boards (e.g. versatile), is it also
> used for emulation of SoC?

Yes. Our infrastructure for doing it in a neatly encapsulated
way has been a bit lacking but is getting better. Already in
the tree there is emulation of OMAP1 and OMAP2 and (just landed)
the Samsung Exynos4210.

> I've looked around a bit, and found some indications of it, e.g. a
> branch that allows connection between SystemC and qemu.

SystemC support is a completely unrelated question to whether
we emulate SoCs. (We don't have any SystemC support in mainline,
as it happens.)

> Is there a branch out there somewhere that has a ready implementation
> for some SoC?  Ideally with some of the more "exotic" I/O, such as
> PWM, A/D converters, CAN bus, etc (extra points if it's in the STM32F1
> family :-)

At the moment the only M3 based boards we support are the
stellaris ones.

-- PMM