qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization test

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization tests
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:56:23 -0600

On 03/08/2012 08:49 AM, Ademar Reis wrote:
On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 07:36:11AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 03/07/2012 10:00 PM, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:
Virt/qemu tests: Minimal guest images
-------------------------------------

In order to make development level test possible, we need the tests to run fast.
In order to do that, a set of minimal guest images is being developed and we
have a version for x86_64 ready and functional:

https://github.com/autotest/buildroot-autotest

I'm really not a fan of buildroot.  Note that in order to ship
binaries, full source needs to be provided in order to comply with
the GPL.  The FSF at least states that referring to another website
for source that's not under your control doesn't satisfy the
requirements of the GPL.

Just out of curiosity, did you try to use qemu-test?  Is there a
reason you created something different?

I think it's good that you're thinking about how to make writing
tests easier, but we have a growing test infrastructure in QEMU and
that's what I'd prefer people focused on.

You probably remember the long thread we had back in December on
qemu-devel on this topic. Back then our message was "we have a
growing test infrastructure in s/QEMU/autotest/ and that's what
we'd prefer people focused on". :-)

 From Dor:

(http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-12/msg03024.html)

"""
If you wish, you can challenge Lucas and Cleber w/ these type of
requirements and we'll all improve as a result.
"""

Your response was:

"""
Well consider qemu-test the challenge. It's an existence proof
that we can have a very easy to use framework for testing that
runs extremely fast and is very easy to write tests for.
"""

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/challenge-accepted ;-)

I particularly agreed with basically everything you said on that
discussion regarding test simplification (I had just joined the
team back then). To me, autotest has been focusing on QE-level,
leaving the developer-level test requirements out. Now we're
attacking this new front, and a lot of the requirements are
indeed from that discussion.

If you want to talk about this in terms of "requirements", my requirement is for "developer-level" tests to live in qemu.git and be integrated into make check.

Just as we've been discussing and working on since the previous set of
discussions.

By simplifying the design and bringing barriers down, we hope to
reach a broader audience and help developers write and maintain
tests, benefiting from all the instrumentation that autotest
brings. It's not going to be just about qemu (check the new test
examples).

We have a team fully dedicated to autotest and it's used not only
by Qemu but also libvirt, Google, Xen, Fedora, Twitter, etc, etc
(these all have code contributions in autotest)

That said, the current qemu-tests will probably be easily
integrated into (the new) autotest and we hope that, given enough
time, autotest will be good enough to relieve qemu from the
framework maintenance and code duplication with other projects.

autotest should not be the focal point for integration.  qemu.git should be.

I'd be perfectly happy to review patches submitting the test infrastructure from kvm-autotest into qemu.git (provided it didn't have unreasonable external dependencies and fit into QEMU).

Developer-level tests need to live where the developers live. The developers live in qemu.git. See my other response on this thread for the explanation of why this is so important.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori