qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization test

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization tests
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 15:03:48 -0600

On 03/08/2012 02:17 PM, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:
On 03/08/2012 04:43 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 03/08/2012 01:34 PM, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:
On 03/08/2012 03:57 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 03/08/2012 09:19 AM, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:
Before I forget, I'd like to ask you about this:

On 03/08/2012 10:36 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
I'm really not a fan of buildroot. Note that in order to ship
binaries,
full source needs to be provided in order to comply with the GPL. The
FSF at least states that referring to another website for source
that's
not under your control doesn't satisfy the requirements of the GPL.

About using buildroot, what is up with it, since it is mature and
works well?
You mentioned than providing all the sources is harder than it looks
like, and I
surely think this might be the case.

buildroot is a full blown distribution. But instead of distributing
binaries, it only distributes source code. Think of it like Gentoo--.

It relies on third party links to fetch said source code which means
that it's not unusual

By this definition, qemu test fetch source code from 3rd party
repositories just
as much, after all you have to fetch your linux and busybox code from
somewhere,
I assume.

It uses git submodules with repositories hosted on git.qemu.org.

The linux, uclibc, gcc and and busybox repositories are nowhere to be seen
there. Also, from .gitmodules for qemu-jeos:

[submodule "busybox"]
path = busybox
url = git://busybox.net/busybox.git
[submodule "linux"]
path = linux
url = git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
[submodule "uClibc"]
path = uClibc
url = git://uclibc.org/uClibc.git
[submodule "binutils"]
path = binutils
url = git://sources.redhat.com/git/binutils.git
[submodule "gcc"]
path = gcc
url = git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git

So still pretty much a lot of code outside the qemu.org realm.

Yes, because I haven't mirrored any of this yet :-)  But it's trivial to do.

You change the configuration file to build your linux from git rather
than the
tarball, change the linux config and type 'make'. At the end, you'll
have a
patch that can be sent and kept in another autotest-buildroot branch,
if it's
proven to be useful *for other people*.

Except you also need to update those tarballs too that you're storing in
git, remember.

Herein lies the problem. You forgot and it's your proposal :-)

Ok, fair enough :) But still, qemu-jeos points out to external repositories,
just as much as buildroot. It seems to me that the whole point about FSF
requiring the source to be under your control is no longer valid here.

There aren't qemu-jeos binaries on qemu.org. There won't be until I mirror the git repos.

It's the infrastructure that matters here. Submodules provides a nice infrastructure to handle all of this and minimizing the external components makes the whole thing much more manageable.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori