qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization test

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization tests
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 09:48:47 -0600

On 03/09/2012 09:34 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 09/03/2012 16:24, Anthony Liguori ha scritto:
At the very least dump the inquiry pages, mode pages, etc. and see that
they make sense and correspond to the device properties.

Is this not something that's reasonably easy to do in qtest?

Yes (at least with virtio-scsi the libos bits are relatively small; just
think of what it would have been like when the only HBA was LSI), but
with one gotcha...

Is it possible to write a C program that does the ioctl and dump the
inquiry page in a text format conducive to shell parsing?

... sg_utils also parses the pages and dumps them in human-readable
format.  This is useful because it provides a completely separate
implementation and avoids problems with misinterpretation of the
standard.  Of course it would work just as well if someone wrote tests
instead of me.

I don't recommend it in the general case, but it should be trivial to add additional packages to qemu-jeos and reuse the toolchain to build them.

I don't think it's all that valuable here. I think you really want to test this via qtest. You could easy copy/paste code from sg_utils to do the parsing if you were so inclined...

Are these the sort of tests that would be interesting to also run on
Fedora, Windows, and Ubuntu?

They should give exactly the same output on any guest.

Is it valuable to have a per-platform test or since this is mostly
passthrough to the device (I assume), do you just need a single test?

Ah, understood.  Yeah, a single test is enough for the purpose of
testing QEMU.  If you want to test the driver too, running under Windows
would be useful.

We should separate integration test (testing multiple components where we want to be able to use different versions/implementations of one component) from functional/unit tests that are strictly testing a single component. There isn't always a clean separation and there may be overlap, but I don't think we should stress out about the overlap.

For instance, doing general purpose I/O testing is something where we want to test I/O with a Linux guest, a Windows guest, etc. This is an integration test and we should focus on it.

But we probably want some sort of I/O test in qemu-test too since it provides a simple functional test. Yes, there's overlap, but the functional form of the test is so simple that it really isn't that important.

But testing how QEMU handles malformatted virtio-blk requests is something that's clearly QEMU specific. There's no value doing that with a Linux and Windows guest (even if it's somehow possible). It's definitely a unit test that's strictly specific to QEMU.

I think autotest should be able to execute QEMU's unit and functional tests. By using a test framework like gtest that exposes a test protocol, it should be trivial to add that support.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Paolo