qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] IRQ number, interrupt number, interrupt line & GPIO[in/

From: Shu Ming
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] IRQ number, interrupt number, interrupt line & GPIO[in/out]
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:04:45 +0800

IRQ number is actually a word coming from ancient time. When 8259 was popular at that time, we only have 0 ~ 15 interrupts when two 8259 are cascaded. The IRQ number mattered in that time, because 8259 put their vector number in the bus for CPU after the interrupt was delivered. The number did have special meaning to the CPU used as a vector to interrupt table. However, in modern time, especially after we have APIC and MSI, the number don't have much meaning to CPU because the interrupt is targeting some special PCI address to notify the CPU. So APIC don't need put a vector number in the bus. In modern os, it is usually called auto vector for OS to walk the interrupt routine table. Interrupt line is similar to IRQ numbers, interrupt numbers.