qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 20:24:47 +0000

On 12 March 2012 20:12, Stefan Weil <address@hidden> wrote:
> I agree that more maintainers would be good, but we also need
> more people with commit rights. Why? There a many examples of
> urgent patches (= patches which fix broken builds) which take
> several days even when they were reviewed before they finally
> are committed.

I agree that that's a specific area it would be nice to do
better in. It seems to me that the qemu-trivial process for
sweeping up trivial patches has been working well; maybe we
could use a slightly more formal qemu-urgent process for
flagging up build breakage etc?

(Personally I'd support a rule that any outstanding
build-breakage fixes must always go in before anything else.)

> Only two maintainers are allowed to make full use of the patchwork
> (http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/qemu-devel/) infrastructure.
> Why not all maintainers?

I tried to get myself added to the maintainers list (with
agreement from Anthony) for that a long time ago and got zero
response from the people running that patchwork instance.

A good patchwork instance is really useful -- the Linaro one
is set up with hooks into monitoring git, so patches that are
committed move automatically to 'accepted', for instance.
[It's only semi-automatic, though, and I don't know if it
would still be as useful with the much higher volume qemu gets.]

-- PMM