qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 10:30:16 -0500

On 03/25/2012 10:18 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 03/25/2012 05:07 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
As log as qemu -nodefconfig -cpu westmere -M pc1.1

-nodefconfig is going to eventually mean that -cpu westmere and -M
pc-1.1 will not work.

This is where QEMU is going.  There is no reason that a normal user
should ever use -nodefconfig.

I don't think anyone or anything can use it, since it's meaning is not
well defined.  "not read any configuration files" where parts of qemu
are continually moved out to configuration files means its a moving target.

I think you assume that all QEMU users care about forward and backwards compatibility on the command line about all else.

That's really not true. The libvirt folks have stated repeatedly that command line backwards compatibility is not critical to them. They are happy to require that a new version of QEMU requires a new version of libvirt.

I'm not saying that backwards compat isn't important--it is. But there are users who are happy to live on the bleeding edge.

Suppose we define the southbridge via a configuration file.  Does that
mean we don't load it any more?

Yes. If I want the leanest and meanest version of QEMU that will start in the smallest number of milliseconds, then being able to tell QEMU not to load configuration files and create a very specific machine is a Good Thing. Why exclude users from being able to do this?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori