qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] help setting up private git for bugfixes / own patches

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] help setting up private git for bugfixes / own patches
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:15:31 +0100

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Peter Lieven <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 19.04.2012 12:01, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Peter Lieven<address@hidden>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to setup a private git repository for qemu for to tasks:
>>>
>>> a)
>>>  cherry-pick existing patches from qemu git and submitting them as patch
>>> set
>>>  for the next stable qemu release. i'm talking about patches which have
>>> not
>>>  been included yet, but are present in the repository.
>>>
>>> b)
>>>  add own patches for submitting them as patch sets for review and
>>> possible
>>>  inclusion into next releases.
>>>
>>> Is there any good best current practice / how to how to do this?
>>
>> I'm not sure if you mean a "personal repository" when you say
>> "private".  A lot of developers have personal repos on github.com or
>> repo.or.cz.  It's fairly easy to get started with either of these free
>> services.  You'll be able to do what you described and share the state
>> of your repo with others.
>
> Yes I meant personal repository. What I was looking for is a guideline
> to the commands / steps to do the above taaks.

In general the steps are:

1. Create an account with the service.
2. See if there is an upstream repo or mirror for qemu.git.  If yes,
click the "fork" button to set up your personal clone.  Otherwise
click the "new repository" button to create an empty repo.
3. Go to settings and set up ssh keys so you will have git access.
4. Clone your repo so you have a local copy you can work on.

Github in particular has documentation which you can follow.

Stefan