qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] help setting up private git for bugfixes / own patches

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] help setting up private git for bugfixes / own patches
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:41:36 +0100

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Peter Lieven <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 19.04.2012 13:15, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

>>> Yes I meant personal repository. What I was looking for is a guideline
>>> to the commands / steps to do the above taaks.
>>
>> In general the steps are:
>>
>> 1. Create an account with the service.
>> 2. See if there is an upstream repo or mirror for qemu.git.  If yes,
>> click the "fork" button to set up your personal clone.  Otherwise
>> click the "new repository" button to create an empty repo.
>> 3. Go to settings and set up ssh keys so you will have git access.
>> 4. Clone your repo so you have a local copy you can work on.
>
> Thats all quite clear to me. I meant the commands to cherry pick patches
> and prepare a patchset out of them.

Okay.  Maybe this is closer to what you are looking for...

You get commits into your local repo in one of two ways:

1. Fetch them from a remote repo (e.g. linaro or someone's personal repo):

git remote add linaro git://path.to/linaro/qemu.git
git fetch linaro
git log linaro/cool-new-unmerged-feature
...find the commit SHA1 you want...
git cherry-pick 1234abcd

New versions of git let you specify multiple commit IDs and probably
also 1234..5678 notation to grab whole series of commits in one go.

2. Apply patch emails:

mutt (or Thunderbird or whatever)
git am patch.mbox  (some clients can pipe mails to git-am(1))

Once you are happy with your local branch, push it to your public repo.

Stefan