qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Compression achieved by using tight encoding for qemu vnc d

From: Ankur Vijay
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Compression achieved by using tight encoding for qemu vnc display
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:33:52 +0530

Hi

I have been comparing the compression achieved by various encoding schemes in the following two scenarios :

a) Using the -vnc option with qemu
b) Creating a vnc server inside the guest

The vnc viewer I am using is xtightvnc. My guest is gentoo OS and my qemu version is 0.13.0

I have observed a peculiar thing : the compression achieved in scenario `a` is much more than that achieved with scenario `b` if the encoding scheme is "tight" and all other parameters are same. The same does not happen if other encoding schemes ( raw/hextile etc) are used. I am running videos on vlc media  player and measuring the total bandwidth consumed during a single run.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Ankur