qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5] block: File descriptor passing using -open-ho

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5] block: File descriptor passing using -open-hook-fd
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 11:38:48 +0200

Am 02.05.2012 10:27, schrieb Stefan Hajnoczi:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Kevin Wolf <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Am 01.05.2012 22:25, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
>>> Thanks for sending this out Stefan.

>>> What I like about this approach is that it's useful outside the block layer
>>> and
>>> is conceptionally simple from a QEMU PoV.  We simply delegate open() to
>>> libvirt
>>> and let libvirt enforce whatever rules it wants.
>>>
>>> This is not meant to be an alternative to blockdev, but even with blockdev,
>>> think we still want to use a mechanism like this even with blockdev.
>>
>> What does it provide on top?
>
> It solves the problem of snapshot_blkdev and other operations that
> re-open files.  Using -blockdev and hotplug for image files as file
> descriptors only solves the static configuration problem, not the
> runtime problem we get with snapshot_blkdev.  That's why this approach
> is more powerful than -blockdev fd=N.

The important thing that blockdev-add must define is a QAPI type that
describes a block device. This is the same type that can be used for all
other operations as well.

In fact, live snapshots don't even require this. You just pass fd:42 (or
actually whatever the -blockdev syntax for it will be) as the new image
and use 'existing' mode. You don't even need blockdev-add for this, you
can do it with what we have today. (Warning, hack: You can even use
"live snapshots" with existing files to describe the full backing file
structure today and use only FDs. The only new thing you need there is
the fd protocol. But... don't use this.)

Kevin