qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] unreviewed commits (was: Re: Restore consistent formatt

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] unreviewed commits (was: Re: Restore consistent formatting)
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 10:01:52 +0000

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM, malc <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 May 2012, Blue Swirl wrote:

>> > It didn't on Linux and BSDs, might have worked on Darwin and AIX.
>>
>> Then fix it, please!
>
> WTF? You commit broken code that is used by 9/10 of all PPC users (yes
> all 9 of them) and _then_, not before, demand to fix it.. shrug.

The same approach worked fine on x86. I don't know all architectures
and their ABIs, so I can't fix all back ends. You should be able to do
this much better. Is fixing the register order that hard?

>> > The code that was commited was
>> > a. Pathetically inneficient everywhere
>> > b. Wrong for SysV ABI
>>
>> Yes, that's what I told back then. There are too many ABIs for various
>> architectures, the maintainers should know these much better.
>
> Told whom?

The list at least, there were plenty of people involved in the discussions.

>> > What i do not want is code that doesn't work. And i take non-existant
>> > over wrong any day. I also would prefer to be notified when code which
>> > i maintain is modified.
>>
>> But your approach is not OK in any sense, now we have a failed build.
>> Before, we had code that could work in some cases and the other cases
>> could be probably easily fixed.
>>

> Well, here's a "sense", code that _silently_ misbehaves is NOT "OK".

Then fix the misbehaviour instead of this error approach, please.