qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Add support for new image type

From: Artyom Tarasenko
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Add support for new image type
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 13:03:47 +0200

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> To help me better understand, what would
>>> be the terminology used for the explanation between what I would call
>>> "source code" licensing, and "project" licensing? Also, where in the code
>>> (or rather what file) can I see this distinction? It seems like something
>>> critical to be aware of, and I'd like to avoid missing something like this
>>> in the future as I give advice on what software we can use.
>
> Roughly speaking, each file has its own license.  So you can take for
> example vl.c or tcg/* and use it in a proprietary program, because those
> are under a non-copyleft license.  You cannot do the same for
> event_notifier.c, because it is released under GPLv2 or later.
>
> For the project to be distributable at all, there has to be a license
> that is compatible with all the others: such a license has to allow all
> restrictions imposed by the other licenses used in the project, and all
> other licenses have to allow all restrictions imposed by such a license.
>  For QEMU this license is the GPLv2.

Strictly speaking it must be GPLv2 with exceptions/restrictions. The code
can not be moved freely between GPL and BSD licensed files.
Why the GPL->BSD move is illegal is obvious.
The BSD->GPL move is not allowed because of the :

" * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
 * all copies or substantial portions of the Software."

clause of the BSD license.

So the result of GPL and BSD intersection must be GPL with some files
licensed under BSD.

--
Regards,
Artyom Tarasenko