qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Can't convert to vmdk with the streamOptimized subforma

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Can't convert to vmdk with the streamOptimized subformat
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 09:13:59 +0100

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Sebastien Douche <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi Sebastien,
>
> Hi Stephan
>
>> It won't be possible for QEMU 1.1 since the release is imminent.
>
> Sad news. This bug impose Virtualbox for the conversion :(.
>
> BTW, thanks Stephan for your quick reponse.

If you have some spare time and C programming knowledge you could try
to write a fix for QEMU 1.2.

The problem is that qemu-img convert is writing to the same cluster
twice but streamOptimized is a write-once format.  We need to find a
way to handle this case gracefully, either by avoiding the double
write or by relaxing this constraint in block/vmdk.c.

Stefan