qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] block: Removed coroutine ownership assumption

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] block: Removed coroutine ownership assumption
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:06:13 +0100

On 22 June 2012 09:48, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
> In my opinion, coroutines have been useful for us so far.  Whether they
> remain useful, or serve us just as a stepping stone towards general
> threads remains to be seen.

>From my point of view I've seen a whole pile of problems and not
really any advantages... I particularly think it's a really bad
idea to have a complex and potentially race-condition-prone bit
of infrastructure implemented three different ways rather than
having one implementation used everywhere -- it's just asking
for obscure bugs on the non-x86 hosts.

Really it just breaks the general rule I prefer to follow that
you should write your code in the 'mainstream' of an API/platform;
if you head too close to the shallows you're liable to hit a rock.

-- PMM