qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to measure guest memory access (qemu_ld/qemu_st) ti

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to measure guest memory access (qemu_ld/qemu_st) time?
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 06:13:37 +0000

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Xin Tong <address@hidden> wrote:
> It is a pity that QEMU does not outline the TLB lookup code. I do not
> know how much impact the inlined TLB code has due to icache misses...

With a test case the impact could be measured. Maybe it could be just
a program performing loads in a loop, executing under a user emulator.

> Another benefit one gets from outlined TLB code is that it is much
> easier to gather the amount of time spent in the TLB. one can just
> profile QEMU and count up how many ticks happened in the outlined TLB
> translation code.

There's also a possible benefit that the code generation buffer does
not fill as fast.

> In fact, i do not think outlining QEMU inlined TLB lookup is too hard
> to implement. one can still keep most of the original inlined TLB code
> and use call/ret to get a TLB translation. of course, one needs to
> come up with a new linkage.

If it can be shown with a test case and statistics that outlining does
not make things worse, we can switch.