qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Using qemu to profile ARM binaries

From: Joey Klonowski
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Using qemu to profile ARM binaries
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:01:01 -0500

Hi all,

I'm trying to edit the qemu source code so I can use qemu as a profiler for a benchmark of ARM programs. A good start would be counting loads, stores, int ops, float ops and branch instructions used by each of the binary files. I have two (related) questions:

1. Where in the qemu implementation would be best to count instructions? My first thought is to count TCG instructions before they are sent for translation into host code, although it could maybe be done before translation from ARM to TCG instructions as well.

2. What's the corresponding folder/file(s) in the source code where I can add code for profiling?

Thanks,

Joey