qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] introduce a dynamic library to expose qemu block

From: Wenchao Xia
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] introduce a dynamic library to expose qemu block API
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:08:20 +0800

于 2012-7-24 2:15, Blue Swirl 写道:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Wenchao Xia <address@hidden> wrote:
   Hi, following is API draft, prototypes were taken from qemu/block.h,
and the API prefix is changed frpm bdrv to qbdrvs, to declare related
object is BlockDriverState, not BlockDriver. One issue here is it may
require include block_int.h, which is not LGPL2 licensed yet.
   API format is kept mostly the same with qemu generic block layer, to
make it easier for implement, and easier to make qemu migrate on it if
possible.

/* structure init and uninit */
BlockDriverState *qbdrvs_new(const char *device_name);
void qbdrvs_delete(BlockDriverState *bs);

/* file open and close */
int qbdrvs_open(BlockDriverState *bs, const char *filename, int flags,
               BlockDriver *drv);

How are the errors passed?

   Returning negative value should indicate errors. I plan to insert
a qblock-err.h to define all number there, and then a function of
const char *qberr2str(int err) to translate error.

Alternative version with file descriptor or struct FILE instead of
filename might become useful but can be added later.

  Agree.
void qbdrvs_close(BlockDriverState *bs);
int qbdrvs_img_create(const char *filename, const char *fmt,
                     const char *base_filename, const char *base_fmt,
                     char *options, uint64_t img_size, int flags);

'const char *options'

/* sync access */
int qbdrvs_read(BlockDriverState *bs, int64_t sector_num,
               uint8_t *buf, int nb_sectors);
int qbdrvs_write(BlockDriverState *bs, int64_t sector_num,
                const uint8_t *buf, int nb_sectors);

Do we want to use sectors here? How about just raw byte offsets and
number of bytes? I'd leave any hardware details out and just provide
file semantics (open/read/write/close). Future QEMU refactorings could
make supporting HW info inconvenient. If HW details (geometry etc., VM
state) are needed, there should be a separate API.

  not sure why original API used sector instead of  raw address,
if no special requirement for sector I think raw address is better.

Vectored I/O might be useful too.

/* info retrieve */
//sector, size and geometry info
int qbdrvs_get_info(BlockDriverState *bs, BlockDriverInfo *bdi);

Currently BlockDriverInfo does not look very useful for outside users,
with the exception of dirty state. How about accessors instead:
bool qbdrvs_is_dirty(BlockDriverState *bs);

Also the format (QCOW) is needed so that the user can use backing file
functions:
const char *qbdrvs_get_format(BlockDriverState *bs);

  I hope to package the info into a structure, such as
#define QBLOCK_INFO_SIZE (128)
struct QblockInfo {
    int dirty;
    char *format;
    int reserved[RESERVE_SPACE];
};
assert sizeof(QblockInfo) == QBLOCK_INFO_SIZE in every version. This
will make caller's code more clean.

int64_t qbdrvs_getlength(BlockDriverState *bs);
int64_t qbdrvs_get_allocated_file_size(BlockDriverState *bs);
void qbdrvs_get_geometry(BlockDriverState *bs, uint64_t *nb_sectors_ptr);

Also this function shouldn't be needed if we don't give HW details
with this API.

    OK.

//image type
const char *qbdrvs_get_format_name(BlockDriverState *bs);
//backing file info
void qbdrvs_get_backing_filename(BlockDriverState *bs,
                                char *filename, int filename_size);
void qbdrvs_get_full_backing_filename(BlockDriverState *bs,
                                     char *dest, size_t sz);

These are specific to QCOW etc., so
bool qbdrvs_has_backing_files(BlockDriverState *bs)?

  How about using return value to indicate it?

int qbdrvs_get_backing_filename(BlockDriverState *bs, char *filename, int filename_size);

/* advanced image content access */
int qbdrvs_is_allocated(BlockDriverState *bs, int64_t sector_num, int
nb_sectors,
                       int *pnum);
int qbdrvs_discard(BlockDriverState *bs, int64_t sector_num, int
nb_sectors);

Again, some files do not have a concept of allocation.

  Maybe return value could indicate it.

int qbdrvs_has_zero_init(BlockDriverState *bs);