qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/7] Migration stats

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/7] Migration stats
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:59:00 -0600

On 08/13/2012 04:50 AM, Juan Quintela wrote:
> Hi
>
> This modifies the output of info migrate/qmp_query_migrate to add the
> stats that I got request for.
>
> - It moves total time to MigrationInfo instead of ram (luiz suggestion)

Now's the time to do this, since the stat is new to 1.2 and we haven't
yet made a release with it.

Should we also rename 'MigrationInfo' to 'MigrationRamInfo', so that we
don't make a similar mistake in the future of putting a stat in the
wrong category?

> What do I want to know:
>
> - is there any stat that you want?  Once here, adding a new one should
>   be easy.

Should we have some sort of stat for the number of pages that are sent
more than once, and/or for the maximum count of times that a given page
was sent?  Having hot/cold page analysis might make it easier to decide
in the future which pages to avoid sending until the very end, and
knowing how many pages are sent multiple times as well as the maximum
times any one page is sent might help.

> - examples are not done, waiting until people agree with what params
>   are needed.

Fair enough for RFC purposes.

> - luiz added in case he has QMP commets.
>
> - erik added for libvirt comments.

Eric, actually.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266