qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Enablig DLPAR capacity on QEMU pSeries

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Enablig DLPAR capacity on QEMU pSeries
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 17:53:41 +0200

On 09/12/2012 04:54 PM, Erlon Cruz wrote:
Hi all,

We are planning to implement DLPAR capacity on QEMU pSeries. As we

What is DLPAR? Hotplug support?

lack of experience in the internals of the arch we would like you guys
to give us some design directions
and confirm if we going in the right direction. Our first idea is:

     1 - to patch 'spapr.c' so it can dynamically insert/remove basic
items into the device tree.

What exactly would you like to patch into it? We already do have support for dynamic dt creation with the spapr target.

     2 - create a host side device that will be used with a guest side
driver to perform guest side operations and communicate changes from
host to the guest (like DynamicRM does in PowerVM LPARs). We are not

Why not just use hypercalls?

planning to use powerpc-tools and want to make resource management
transparent (i.e. no need to run daemons or userspace programs in the
guest, only this kernel driver).
     3 - create bindings to support adding/removal  ibmvscsi devices
     4 - create bindings to support adding/removal  ibmveth devices
     5 - create bindings to support adding/removal PCI devices
     6 - create bindings to support adding/removal of memory

This is going to be the hardest part. I don't think QEMU supports memory hotplug yet.

         - Do we need to do this the way PowerVM does? We have tested
virtio ballooning and it can works with a few endiannes corrections.

I don't know how PowerVM works. But if normal ballooning is all you need, you should certainly just enable virtio-balloon.

     7 - create bindings to support adding/removal  CPUs
         - is SMP supported already? I tried to run SMP in a x86 host
and the guest stuck when SMP is enabled

SMP should work just fine, yes. Where exactly does it get stuck?

         - would be possible to work on this without a P7 baremetal
machine?

At least for device hotplug, it should be perfectly possible to use an old G5 with PR KVM. I haven't gotten around to patch all the pieces of the puzzle to make -M pseries work with PR KVM when it's running on top of pHyp yet, so that won't work.

We have a P7 8205-E6B, is that possible to kick PHYP out?

Ben?

Any ideia on how much effort (time/people) the hole thing would take?
Any consideration about this is much appreciated :)

Phew. It's hard to tell. Depends heavily on how good your people are :).

Alex