qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Rethinking missed tick catchup

From: Gleb Natapov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Rethinking missed tick catchup
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:13:12 +0300

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 07:30:08PM +0200, Stefan Weil wrote:
> Am 12.09.2012 18:45, schrieb Gleb Natapov:

> >>Nearly each modern OS (including Windows) uses NTP
> >>or some other protocol to get the time via a TCP network.
> >>
> >The drifts we are talking about will take ages for NTP to fix.
> >
> >>If a guest OS detects a small difference of time, it will usually
> >>accelerate or decelerate the OS clock until the time is
> >>synchronised again.
> >>
> >>Large jumps in network time will make the OS time jump, too.
> >>With a little bad luck, QEMU's reinjection will add the
> >>positive skew, no matter whether the guest is Linux or Windows.
> >>
> >As far as I know NTP will never make OS clock jump. The purpose of NTP
> >is to fix time gradually, so apps will not notice. npdate is used to
> >force clock synchronization, but is should be run manually.
>
> s/npdate/ntpdate. Yes, some Linux distros run it at system start,
Yes, typo.

> and it's also usual to call it every hour (poor man's NTP, uses
> less resources).

> >>D) makes no sense, see my comment above.
> >>
> >>Injection of additional timer interrupts should not be needed
> >>after a hibernation. The guest must handle that situation
> >>by reading either the hw clock (which must be updated
> >>by QEMU when it resumes from hibernate) or by using
> >>another time reference (like NTP, for example).
> >>
> >He is talking about host hibernation, not guest.
> >

> I also meant host hibernation.
Than I don't see how guest can handle the situation since it has
no idea that it was stopped. Qemu has not idea about host hibernation
either.

> Maybe the host should tell the guest that it is going to
> hibernate (ACPI event), then the guest can use its
> normal hibernate entry and recovery code, too.
Qemu does not emulate Sleep button, but even if it did guest may ignore
it. AFAIK libvirt migrate VM into a file during host hibernation. While
this does not require guest cooperation it have time keeping issues.

--
                        Gleb.