qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] Qemu boot device precedence over nvram boot-

From: Gleb Natapov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] Qemu boot device precedence over nvram boot-device setting
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:35:00 +0200

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 08:21:43PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-09-27 at 11:51 +0200, Gleb Natapov wrote:
>
> > Yes, forget about -boot. It is deprecated :) You should use bootindex
> > (device property) to set boot priority. It constructs OF device path
> > and passes it to firmware. There is nothing "blurry" about OF device
> > path.
>
> Of course it is ;-) They are perfectly precise down to the device for
> which qemu generates the device-tree ... and from there it requires the
> firmware and qemu to both agree on how they are constructed, and it
> becomes totally unpredictable once things like f-code drivers coming
> from adapter ROMs enter the picture.

If QEMU generates OF device path that can't be used by firmware uniquely
identify the device this is QEMU bug. You are correct about ROMs though.
At least on a PC single ROM can register multiple boot vectors and since
QEMU knows nothing about them it can't prioritize between them. It's sad
if OF has similar problem.

> In fact, we can probably get them right down the the PCI device for PCI
> (for which we don't currently construct the device nodes in qemu, but we
> can 'guess'). And we can probably get the right unit address for vscsi,
> virtio-scsi, etc... but that's about it.
What more do you need?

--
                        Gleb.