qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-kvm: remove "boot=on|off" drive parameter compatib

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-kvm: remove "boot=on|off" drive parameter compatibility
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 16:07:58 +0200

On 01.10.2012, at 15:19, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> Jan Kiszka <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 2012-10-01 11:31, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>>
>> It's not just about default configs. We need to validate if the
>> migration formats are truly compatible (qemu-kvm -> QEMU, the other way
>> around definitely not). For the command line switches, we could provide
>> a wrapper script that translates them into upstream format or simply
>> ignores them. That should be harmless to carry upstream.
>
> qemu-kvm has:
>
> -no-kvm

Should be easy to have around as backwards compat hack. All it needs to do is
set accel=tcg.

> -no-kvm-irqchip
> -no-kvm-pit
> -no-kvm-pit-reinjection

Those are quite important, as we need cmdline backwards compatibility.

> -tdf <- does nothing
>
> There are replacements for all of the above.  If we need to add them to
> qemu.git, it's not big deal to add them.
>
> -drive ...,boot= <- this is ignored

It's ignored, but useful for certain things. I don't know how many of our users
use boot= today, but it's certainly still in the code, and supported. I
honestly wouldn't mind to carry a SUSE specific patch that implements boot= for
now until we can deem it deprecated enough that we can drop it.

> cpu_set command for CPU hotplug which is known broken in qemu-kvm.
>
> testdev which is nice but only used for development
>
> Default nic is rtl8139 vs. e1000.

Couldn't we have a machine option that tells us that -M pc-1.2 is really -M
pc-kvm-1.2? That way we could implement the device difference, right?

Alex