qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Configure option to turn on all debug printerfy

From: Igor Mitsyanko
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Configure option to turn on all debug printerfy
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 13:29:46 +0400

On 10/31/2012 07:10 AM, Peter Crosthwaite wrote:
So in a couple of cases now I have done work on mature device models
that include #ifdef'd debug printfery that is broken, and have
submitted (trivial) patches to fix. Whats happening is tree wide or
automated changes (changing types of variables etc) is causing the
debug printfery to break, usually werror issues on %x in printfs due
to types. Issue is, it never gets detected until someone tries to use
the debug mode: ./configure --extra-cflags="-DFOO_DEBUG". Can we have
some sort of alternate symbol "ALL_DEBUG" or something, such that
every debug printf is compiled? Then when developers make tree wide
changes they can at least compile test for breakages in debug printfs
using ./configure --extra-cflags="-DALL_DEBUG"? It would be fairly
trivial to implement.

Regards,
Peter

Agree, I think majority of device-specific debugging was broken after ARM physical address length was changed to 64 bit. Of course, no one would want to run QEMU with ALL_DEBUG, but I think no one wants to configure QEMU with --target-list=all either, but
sometimes we have to)

But touching every device could be too invasive, maybe add new target to QEMU makefile "make compile-test", and ask for every new contributor to manually add his debug define in some kind of list of defines for "make compile-test".

--
Mitsyanko Igor
ASWG, Moscow R&D center, Samsung Electronics