qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] libqblock OOM issue

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] libqblock OOM issue
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:32:05 +0100

Il 14/11/2012 10:55, Wenchao Xia ha scritto:
>>    In order to resolve OOM issue, I am trying wrap all APIs using
>> sunrpc, need some suggestion before coding.
>
> Is the client/server approach really necessary or can you write a
> library that invokes qemu-nbd/qemu-img?
>
> If there is a startup cost problem with qemu-img it may be possible to
> add an interactive mode (like qemu-io) where qemu-img stays open and
> responds to commands (maybe in JSON encoding).
>
> The difference between this and the RPC approach is that you can write a
> relatively thin NBD and qemu-img library with the tools that already
> exist today.

In fact, I think this is not our issue.  If libvirt wants to use
libqblock but have a problem with OOM exit, they can write their own
wrappers to do the simple tasks they need, or just keep on using
qemu-img with JSON output (possibly extending it and keeping the
functionality upstream).  For many of those tasks, it may turn out that
qemu-img extensions would be useful anyway.

Paolo