qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL for-1.3 0/3] seabios: q35 update

From: Jason Baron
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL for-1.3 0/3] seabios: q35 update
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 13:47:04 -0500

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 11:11:55AM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> Most q35 seabios patches just landed upstream.  So here we go with a
> last-minute pull to plumb the missing q35 bits.  It obviously updates
> seabios again.  It also adds autoloading for the acpi dsdt table.
>
> With this pull "qemu -M q35" JustWorks[tm].
>
> please pull,
>   Gerd

Hi,

Feel free to add my Acked-by: Jason Baron <address@hidden>
to the series.

I've just been looking at WindowsXP support and there are a few issues
that need to be resolved to make it work with the current q35 code.

1) legacy ide mode

I can currently create a ide controller on the command-line using
'-device'. However, on the real h/w there is an IDE compatibility mode
which essentially advertises an ide controller at the same location that
the ahci lives at. In fact, it changes the PCI device id. To deal with
the fact that AHCI has 6 ports and thus 6 possible devices, it then adds
a second controller for the remaining 2 disks. This shouldn't be too
hard to emulate. But I'm wondering what we want the qemu interface
to look like? A -machine options such as:
'-machine q35,diskmode=ahci,ide,raid'?

2) HPET ACPI error

This line: 'IRQNoFlags () {2, 8}' in the HPET acpi table is causing the
folloing ACPI message (removing it makes it go away):

"
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check To be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is
identified in The stop message, disable the driver or check
with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video
adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable
BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need
to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your
computer, press F8 To select Advanced startup opTions, and then
select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: Ox0000007E (OxFFFFFFFFC0000005,OxFFFFFADF8FCEDA83,OxFFFFFADF90631540,O
xFFFFFADF90630F50)

***    acpi.sys - Address FFFFFADF8FCEDA83 base at FFFFFADF8FCDA000, DateStamp
42435eae
"

3) irq table

The irq table commit that makes windows 7 work, upsets Windows XP. If
I back out seabios commit: 2114f50148c42e374586359d23b522483ca10e8d
I do not get the following error:

"
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down To prevent damage
to your computer.

If this is The first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

The BIOS in this sysTem is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your
system vendor for an updated BIOS.  If you are unable to obtain an
updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI
compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during textmode setup.  To do this,
press The F7 key when you are prompted To install storage drivers. The
system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently
disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation.

Technical informaTion:

*** STOP: 0x000000A5 (Ox0000000000010006,OxFFFFFADF9C461108,0x0000000000000000,0
x0000000000000000)
"

Thanks,

-Jason