qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] (iSCSI-)Readcache in Qemu?

From: Peter Lieven
Subject: [Qemu-devel] (iSCSI-)Readcache in Qemu?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:51:48 +0100

Hi,

is there any project or plans to integrate a readcache in qemu either for iscsi
or for the whole block layer?

I was thinking of 2 options:
a) assign (up to) a fixed amount of ram for readcaching of a VMs disk I/O.
Without SG_IO this seems
to be quite easy as there are only a handful of operations to intercept.
b) add SSDs to a Node and allow a VM to use up to X MB of that SSD as
read-cache. This should still be
a benefit if the storage for the VMs is on a NAS.

I would like to do that independent of the OS for 2 reasons. First with iSCSI
the OS
is not involved. And second I would like to be able to add a memory limit for
the cache.

Peter