qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] The state of testing

From: Amit Shah
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] The state of testing
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 15:41:54 +0530

On (Mon) 04 Mar 2013 [16:53:55], Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> People are working on testing for various parts of QEMU.  I started
> this thread to gather an update on the state of testing and see where
> we still need help.
>
> I'm not sure yet if we should propose Google Summer of Code projects
> to help with the testing infrastructure.  Perhaps working on libqtest
> support for PCI, USB, virtio, etc would be a cool project.
>
> Buildbot
> ------------
> The buildbot performs nightly builds and "make check".  Test coverage
> is still minimal but it's a starting point where we can add more tests
> that will run every day.
>
> Block
> --------
> tests/qemu-iotests/ contains 49 tests for the block layer.  These
> tests mostly cover image format features like backing files,
> snapshots, resize, and basic I/O verify tests.
>
> The test suite has a few areas for improvement:
>
> 1. aio is not well-supported.  We need to be able to control the order
> in which asynchronous requests complete in order to test all possible
> code paths.  This issue also means the current aio tests are not
> deterministic and can fail randomly due to reordered output.
>
> 2. make check-block is not run by the buildbot.  We should do so to
> get nightly coverage of basic qcow2 tests.  I will send a buildbot
> config patch to fix this.
>
> Net
> ---
> No tests!
>
> How are things looking with device emulation, migration, monitor, char, etc?

I have a few tests coded up for virtio-serial at

http://fedorapeople.org/cgit/amitshah/public_git/test-virtserial.git/

which indirectly test chardevs.

Autotest (virt-tests) also has virtio-serial tests which end up
testing chardevs.

chardevs, being an external interface to qemu, do get tested whenever
anyone starts qemu with e.g. libvirt.

Also, autotest has libvirt-based tests, which exercise the monitor.
However, I don't think there's anything comprehensive anywhere.

                Amit