qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] large memory requirements for translate.c a barrier

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] large memory requirements for translate.c a barrier
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:28:49 +0000

On 22 March 2013 15:19,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> It doesn't make sense to switch compilers because this does build, so I will
> either find time to take a stab at moving things out of translate.c

Note that we've had problems with several different target-*/translate.c;
I think the problem is simply that gcc inlines a lot of the functions
of the main decoder loop and then finds that the resulting enormous
function triggers problems with optimisation passes that were accidentally
written to be O(n^2) in memory or CPU usage. So you may find you need
to restructure more than one target's translate.c code.

-- PMM