qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Target-agnostic virtio?

From: Artyom Tarasenko
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Target-agnostic virtio?
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 22:00:06 +0200

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 4:15 AM, Rob Landley <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 04/14/2013 04:38:23 AM, Artyom Tarasenko wrote:

>> > Do you have an example kernel .config and qemu command line showing how
>> > use virtio for those? (Or a working sparc64 image you can point me to?)
>>
>> Yes. Will send it to you as I get to my home machine. Can you make them
>> available on your site?
>
> I plan to add a sparc64 target built from source to Aboriginal Linux.

Good to hear that. The more use/test cases, the less bugs!
Actually I was asking whether you would host a non-Aboriginal, foreign
Debian kernel.
But never mind, I figured it's better to fix QEMU to be able use a
vanilla Debian kernel
instead of building custom kernels. :-)

So if you have more than one PCI / virtio device in your
qemu-system-sparc64 setup, you
may want to update your QEMU to today's git master.

> For a lot of the 64-bit targets, actual 64 bit userspace support is
> strangely lacking. For ppc64 they say to use ppc32, and I've been told that
> about sparc64 as well. I don't know if this is an optimization or a
> requirement. I have a 32 bit image, I'd like to test the 64 bit codepaths as
> well...

I guess it's rather an optimisation. At least I saw BusyBox working under
QEMU before the sparc v8plus was fixed.

Artyom

--
Regards,
Artyom Tarasenko

linux/sparc and solaris/sparc under qemu blog:
http://tyom.blogspot.com/search/label/qemu