qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Continuous work on sandboxing

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Continuous work on sandboxing
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 23:06:08 +0200

Il 29/04/2013 21:57, Eduardo Otubo ha scritto:

>>> I think patching all the libraries is a losing battle, I think we
>>> need to
>>> pursue alternate debugging techniques.
>>
>> It is really only about patching libraries that create threads _and_
>> block all signals in the newly-created thread (to not interfere with the
>> program's own handling of the signals).  In this case, the per-thread
>> signals (SIGFPE/SIGSEGV/SIGBUS/SIGSYS/SIGILL) should be left unblocked,
>> but SIGSYS is often forgotten.
>
> But otherwise you have a fast way to test third party linked libraries,
> I would have to test it each one manually. How many libraries are linked
> to Qemu today?

I'd wager that most of them are not creating threads.

We could specify our own GThread implementation too (see
https://developer.gnome.org/glib/2.30/glib-Threads.html#GThreadFunctions) that
sets signals correctly, which would cover those libraries that create
threads, but do so via glib.

Another fix would be to set the signal mask around each call to poll.
That's quite expensive however.  There are pselect/ppoll, but Linux
doesn't implement them so they're also expensive.

>> I don't think there are many libraries like this, but fixing SPICE at
>> least should definitely be welcome.
>>
>> In fact QEMU's own util/qemu-thread-posix.c does not unblock those
>> signals.  Eduardo, can you submit a patch for that?
>
> I sure can.

Thanks,

Paolo