qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Continuous work on sandboxing

From: Corey Bryant
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Continuous work on sandboxing
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 17:52:10 -0400

On 04/26/2013 05:07 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
[snip]

>3. Debugging and/or learning mode - third party libraries still have the
>problem of interfering in the Qemu's signal mask. According to some
>previous discussions, perhaps patch all external libraries that mass up
>with this mask (spice, for example) is a way to solve it. But not sure
>if it worth the time spent. Would like to hear you guys.
I think patching all the libraries is a losing battle, I think we need to
pursue alternate debugging techniques.

-- paul moore security and virtualization @ redhat

I agree. It would be nice to have some sort of learning mode that reported all denied syscalls on a single run, but signal handlers doesn't seem like the right way. Maybe we could improve on this approach, since it never gained traction: https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/1/7/313

At least we can get a single denied syscall at a time today via the audit log that the kernel issues. Eduardo, you may want to see if there's a good place to document that for QEMU so that people know where to look.

--
Regards,
Corey Bryant