qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cross-Compiling Qemu for Aarch64?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cross-Compiling Qemu for Aarch64?
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 12:23:06 +0100

On 16 May 2013 12:09, Mian M. Hamayun <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am currently trying to compile qemu for Aarch64 but so far I haven't been
> able to configure qemu for this purpose.
> My first objective is to just configure and cross-compile qemu for Aarch64,
> which is currently blocked by the qemu's dependency on cross-compiled
> "glib-2.12".
> For example, when I use the following configure command:
>
> ./configure --cross-prefix=aarch64-linux-gnu- --target-list=arm-softmmu
> --enable-fdt --static
>
> I get the following error:
> ERROR: glib-2.12 required to compile QEMU

This is really a "crossbuilding for aarch64" rather than a QEMU
issue; in general for this kind of thing I suspect you're more
likely to find people who know the answer on the Linaro mailing
lists, eg address@hidden

You've clearly already found at least some resources, so
your best bet for getting this question answered is to make
a focused post to linaro-dev saying specifically "I tried
X (as suggested in url Y) to get a version of glib for
aarch64 but it didn't work with error message Z."

> Anyways, I want to know how we can resolve this dependency ?
>
> Some of you might suggest to cross-compile the glib-2.12

When the message says "2.12" it doesn't mean "exactly and
only that version", it means "2.12 or any later version".
You're probably more likely to be successful with something
more recent. That said, I wouldn't try a cross-compile
completely from scratch from upstream sources personally.
You really want to be working with whatever is your cross
toolchain's recommended method for getting dependencies
and building against them. This can differ a lot depending
on how your cross environment is supposed to work.

thanks
-- PMM