qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Writing a CAN driver for QEMU

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Writing a CAN driver for QEMU
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 18:15:54 +0200

Hello Pavel,

Am 19.05.2013 21:06, schrieb Pavel Pisa:
> [...]
[...]
>>> Would following the guidance in:
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-07/msg00842.html
>>> increase the probability the device simulation would be committed to
>>> qemu?
>>
>> Unfortunately that is out of date as far as the code goes (QOM is our
>> successor to qdev), but it might serve as a good starting point.
[...]
> 1) I think that for Linux the best option is to implement that as simple
> device
>   -device can-kvasser-pcican-q
> or
>   -device can,model=kvasser-pcican-q
[snip]

While using a model property is not wrong per se, "can" seems too
generic as type name, since it needs to inherit from a particular base
class such as PCIDevice. QOM types can be made abstract to share code
between device implementations to the same effect, e.g. PCIHostState.

Regards,
Andreas