qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Potential to accelerate QEMU for specific architectures

From: Lior Vernia
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Potential to accelerate QEMU for specific architectures
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 22:24:59 +0300

Hello,

I am running x86 applications on an ARM device using QEMU, and found
it too slow for my needs. This is to be expected, of course, this is
not a complaint. However, I was wondering whether this could be helped
by "overriding" the generic binary translation mechanism and focusing
on lower level binary translation just from x86 to ARM.

It's clear to me that this isn't a small project, but it might be
important enough for me to invest myself in. However, before I jump
into it, I wanted to inquire whether this would be worthwhile at all.
Does anyone have any estimate as to how big of a gain that could
achieve? Or whether a more significant improvement could be achieved
by further tweaking that didn't occur to me?

Proper disclosure: I'm fairly new to this whole cross-architecture deal.

Yours, Lior.