qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU ARM Cortex-A9 emulation boards

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU ARM Cortex-A9 emulation boards
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 15:49:03 +0100

On 29 May 2013 15:24, Erlon Cruz <address@hidden> wrote:
> So, this hardware we intend to emulate doesn't need to use
> any specific SoC.

This doesn't make sense. If it's hardware it must be using
*some* SoC or system board or PCI interface or similar. It
doesn't just float around in a vacuum.

> The only
> requirement is that it must use an Arm Cortex A9 core. Is
> the Cortex-A9 core fully implemented in QEMU?

More or less, yes (we have some notable missing bits like
TrustZone support but typically they are not a problem).

> My first idea was to use the xilinx board (may realview-pbx-a9
> or vexpress-a9) because it already uses the Arm Cortex A9
> processor

These are all actual models of actual hardware -- is the
device you want to emulate present on the real boards?

> but Im not sure if they supports graphical display. Do they?

the realview and vexpress boards do. Don't know about xilinx.

> Then, I thought that we could write an OMAP4 implementation
> based on the already existing OMAP3 SoC

An OMAP4 emulation would be a colossal undertaking (probably
about 10,000 lines of code). It would be a project all by
itself.

> May be it would be possible to use OMAP3 just with a few
> tweaks so we could pass a cortex-A9 in spite of the actual
> cores, is that possible?

No, because the OMAP3 is not an A9 SoC. (Also, the OMAP3
support is not yet in upstream QEMU).

thanks
-- PMM