qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for 2013-05-28

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for 2013-05-28
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 12:43:08 +0300

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 01:45:55PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 05/31/13 09:09, Jordan Justen wrote:
>
> > Why is updating the ACPI tables in seabios viewed as such a burden?
> > Either qemu does it, or seabios... (And, OVMF too, but I don't think
> > you guys are concerned with that. :)
>
> I am :)
>
> > On the flip side, why is moving the ACPI tables to QEMU such an issue?
> > It seems like Xen and virtualbox both already do this. Why is running
> > iasl not an issue for them?
>
> I think something was mentioned about iasl having problems on BE
> machines? I could be easily wrong but I *guess* qemu's hosts x targets
> (emulate what on what) set is a proper superset of xen's and
> virtualbox's. Presumably if you want to run an x86 guest on a MIPS host,
> and also want to build qemu on the same MIPS (or SPARC) host, you'd have
> to run iasl there too.

You guys should take a look at the patch series I posted.

That's solved there by the means of keeping iasl output in qemu git tree.
configure checks for a working iasl and enables/disables
using this pre-processed output accordingly.
Everyone developing ASL code would still need working iasl
but that's already the case today.