qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/8] arm-devs queue

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/8] arm-devs queue
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:45:17 -0500

Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:

> On 25 June 2013 20:07, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> arm-devs pullreq; nothing particularly earthshattering.
>>> As with the target-arm pullreq, I'm trying to create a signed
>>> pullreq here, so let me know if I've messed it up.
>>> The signed tag itself is 'pull-arm-devs-20130625'; arm-devs.for-upstream
>>> is the branch name, as usual.
>>>

>>> The following changes since commit baf8673ca802cb3ea2cdbe94813441d23bde223b:
>>>
>>>   Merge remote-tracking branch 'stefanha/block' into staging (2013-06-24
>>> 14:33:17 -0500)
>>>
>>> are available in the git repository at:
>>>

>>>   git://git.linaro.org/people/pmaydell/qemu-arm.git
>>>   arm-devs.for-upstream
>>
>> No need to resubmit, but you'll want to use the tag name instead of the
>> branch name here in the future.
>
> Yeah, I'd wondered if that might be the case.
>
> Oh, do you want the actual tag to have a signed-off-by:
> line,

I don't see any practical reason to add a SoB to a tag.  A tag is a
symbolic reference to an existing commit.  There is never any code
change.

A merge may involve code change so a SoB makes sense.  I now SoB all
merges.

Of course, if you want to include a SoB, more power to you but I am not
requiring it.

> and (more generically) do you care if the tag message
> actually has any useful content? I notice mst does both.

Note the tags don't show up in qemu.git git history.  I don't push them
as there's no point in pushing them there.  When I do a merge, I'm
merging the commit that the tag points to, not the tag itself.  The tag
only exists for me to be able to validate you are who you say you are
sending what you said you've sent.

So I really don't care if there's any content in the tag.  It's mostly
for your own personal benefit.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori