qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU support for a.out format executables in user mode

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU support for a.out format executables in user mode emulation
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 23:29:12 +0100

On 10 July 2013 22:05, Graney, Kevin <address@hidden> wrote:
> I know the QEMU system emulation of SPARC supports booting a.out
> format kernels, but is there currently support for this format
> in user mode emulation?

Not currently.

> If I have an a.out format binary is there an easy way to get
> qemu-sparc to load it or will I have to patch the loader to
> basically add new load_aout_binary and load_aout_image functions?

You'd need to add a load_aout_binary() function plus the
code in linuxload.c which recognises the a.out magic
numbers and calls it. See the current support for both
ELF and bFLT formats.

(load_elf_image() is an internal function to the ELF format
function.)

That said, a quick google suggests that SPARC/Linux never
supported a.out binaries -- are you sure these are SPARCLinux
and not SunOS or something?

-- PMM