qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] APM regression since v1.3.0-408-g9ee59f3

From: Sebastian Herbszt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] APM regression since v1.3.0-408-g9ee59f3
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:38:07 +0200

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
On 07/03/13 22:25, Sebastian Herbszt wrote:
Commit 9ee59f3 ("pc: remove bochs bios debug ports") broke the APM
interface
between QEMU and Bochs BIOS/SeaBIOS. Without APM support older guests
are no longer able to power off the VM. This regression also affects
older machine
types like pc-1.2.

--verbose please.  Which guest?  Which firmware?

The guest is syslinux. Its poweroff module [1] uses the APM interface.
I'am also no longer able to power off linux (2.6.20) with acpi=off.

Firmware is SeaBIOS 1.7.2.

ACPI poweroff with seabios works just fine.  If APM support in seabios
uses something else it should be switched to use the same hardware ports
ACPI uses for poweroff (some piix4 pm device register I think) instead
of the debug ports which where never meant to be used that way.

SeaBIOS uses the same QEMU / BIOS interface as Bochs BIOS (port 0x8900).
This interface was removed by commit 9ee59f3.

Does bochs bios run on recent qemu versions in the first place?

Last time I checked it did, but "recent" is relative.

[1] http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-July/020367.html

Sebastian