qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU savevm RAM page offsets

From: Juerg Haefliger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU savevm RAM page offsets
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 19:52:23 +0200

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Laszlo Ersek <address@hidden> wrote:
> (apologies for responding to myself)
>
> On 08/13/13 18:51, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> On 08/13/13 18:03, Andreas Färber wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Can't you just use QEMU's guest-memory-dump API? Either directly or
>>> after loadvm'ing it.
>>
>> That used to suffer from the exact same problem Juerg described, but I
>> fixed it for 1.6.
>
> ... note that the savevm file format doesn't need fixing; it is meant
> for internal consumption only (ie. guest RAM saved in ram_addr_t space,
> then loaded back into ram_addr_t space). It is not meant for external
> tools that expect guest-phys addresses (= hwaddr).

I didn't mean to imply that the savevm format is broken and needed
fixing. I was just wondering if the data is there and I simply hadn't
found it. Upgrading QEMU is not an option at the moment since these
are tightly controlled productions machines. Is it possible to loadvm
a savevm file from 1.0 with 1.6 to then use guest-memory-dump?

...Juerg