qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vmdk stream-optimised format

From: Alex Bligh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vmdk stream-optimised format
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:50:26 +0100

On 19 Aug 2013, at 12:23, Fam Zheng wrote:

> Yes, that would be something possible to do. Is it the only format to
> upload a VM to vCenter now, shouldn't normal VMDK be supported as well?

Ian puts it better than I can:

> This format is only useful if you are attempting to import virtual machines
> into ESX using the vSphere SOAP API and HTTP POST uploads of image files.
> (In which case, it is required.)

IE it is the ONLY format you can use using the vSphere SOAP API, which is
the only way to automate image uploading. vCenter converts other formats
to this format.

Extensive testing with qemu in Q1 this year indicates that it is not
possible to use qemu-img convert to produce anything that will upload.
I went as far as hexdump at the time. I believe I tried compat6
and the various subformat options.

I believe we /read/ this format fine.

--
Alex Bligh