qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Streamlining endian handling in TCG

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Streamlining endian handling in TCG
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:23:02 -0700

On 08/28/2013 01:42 PM, Edgar E. Iglesias wrote:
> A question, some archs have an endian swap
> controlled via the MMU, e.g per page selectable (some PPC, microblaze and
> maybe others). AFAIK the behaviour is implementable in QEMU today but not
> very efficiently. Any thoughts/ideas on this?

The only thing I could imagine doing on a page-by-page basis like
this is to bring this feature into the qemu page table.

We'd have to hang it under the same general scheme as an IO access,
where all reads/writes to the page are forced through the helper.

I'd imagine that it would get handled similarly to io_mem_rom, but
with different accessors.

r~