qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Which functions of southbridges should be no-user?

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Which functions of southbridges should be no-user?
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 11:49:38 +0200

Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 3:00 AM, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Legacy IDE and VGA accesses are positively decoded in the i440fx and
>>> dispatched to the first PCI device with the appropriate class code.

>>> It's definitely all a PCI device.  It could realistically be a
>>> discrete device too that's plugged into a PCI bus that lacks a super
>>> I/O chipset.

>>> It's allowed but the PCI bus will only route the legacy requests to
>>> one of them.
>>
>> Any objections to dropping cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet from
>> all IDE controller southbridge functions?  These are: piix3-ide,
>> piix3-ide-xen, piix4-ide and via-ide.
>
> No, I don't object.  As Andreas points out, we may have problems today
> if you try to add two IDE controllers but those are bugs that should
> be fixed.

The mission of cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet is protecting
users from device-adds that cannot possibly work.  So, *if* these
devices actually have bugs that are so severe that device-add becomes
effectively useless, then we should keep
cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet for now.  But that's detail.

In my very limited testing, I wasn't able to get a system with two
piix3-ide to boot, but it didn't look flat out impossible.  See my reply
to Andreas.

> It used to be possible to buy secondary PCI IDE controllers to add
> more than 4 disks.  You could only access them with proper drivers (so
> you couldn't boot from the 5th disk) but otherwise it worked.

Yes, but these IDE boards didn't identify as intel 82371SB.  For what
it's worth, we have an IDE controller device that isn't a southbridge
function: cmd646-ide.