qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Watching Resource consumption of guest from Qemu ?

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Watching Resource consumption of guest from Qemu ?
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 14:32:20 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Hello List,
>
> I am a graduate student trying to learn about virtualization. I wanted
> to understand if there is any way to tell about resource consumption
> of guest through Qemu ? e.g. if guest starts doing something cpu
> intensive, would qemu be aware of that ? or is there a way to detect
> that from qemu ?

I assume your talking about a KVM quest rather than a system emulated
guest within QEMU? KVM guests will appear as normal user-space tasks to
the host OS so your normal top/htop/iotop tools will show activity
associated with that guest.

I don't think qemu directly monitors CPU utilisation but I could be
wrong. Other information is available though - see
docs/virtio-ballon-stats.txt for example.

Things that trap to QEMU (i.e. hardware access, virtio) however can
certainly be tracked. The the guest is in a pure CPU loop then qemu
won't know about it until the next event it has to deal with.

--
Alex Bennée