qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] seavgabios resolutions, win8

From: Kevin O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] seavgabios resolutions, win8
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 13:48:57 -0500

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 07:59:25PM +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> 29.11.2013 19:23, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >   Hi,
> >
> >> +    { 0x18d, { MM_DIRECT, 1920, 1080, 16, 8, 16, SEG_GRAPH } },
> >> +    { 0x18e, { MM_DIRECT, 1920, 1080, 24, 8, 16, SEG_GRAPH } },
> >> +    { 0x18f, { MM_DIRECT, 1920, 1080, 32, 8, 16, SEG_GRAPH } },
> >
> >> I'm not sure I understand how list of modes is maintained/used in
> >> seavgabios.  The above patch at least allows one of the very common
> >> modes to be selected in windows clients.
> >
> > Just get-send-email a proper patch to the seabios list.
>
> It isn't about patch submission.  It is about _writing_ the patch, --
> I mentioned that there are a few other modes which are requested by
> users, and also - which I didn't mention - I don't know which mode
> identifiers to use, -- does it matter which IDs to use?  In the above
> example, added modes are 0x18[def], does it matter?

SeaVGABIOS started as a port of the "lgpl vgabios" code from
assembler/bcc to gcc.  What likely happened is that patches were made
to the original "lgpl vgabios" code after the port started.  So, we
just need to patch SeaVGABIOS with whatever has been recently added to
"lgpl vgabios".

The choice of mode ids, generally speaking, doesn't matter.  It's good
form to match the ids chosen in "lgpl vgabios" though.

-Kevin